Ask Audrey Ask Audrey
View:
Article
Article

Thom Pain (Based on Nothing)

Toby Schmitz takes on Will Eno's acclaimed one-man show in front of nine cameras streaming live and globally.

Text size
Text size
Category: Theatre
Book Now
Add to favourites

Thom Pain (Based on Nothing)

Date: 16 Jun 2020

Written by Will Eno, Thom Pain (based on nothing) is a solo tour de force takes us into the mind of a man desperately searching for some meaning. 

The play will be performed by Toby Schmitz and captured for live streaming by nine cameras.

“You can stand at stage door and watch on your phone if you like,” says Andrew Henry, Red Line’s artistic director.

Schmitz says Thom Pain is a play he’s been “obsessing over” for the last 15 years.

“I read it and wept,” he says. “It has incredible theatricality and all those themes of fear, boyhood and the nature of performance. I’ve been going over and over it for years. In my head, I’m performing it for people in rows sitting just in front of me, but this time, it will be down the barrel of the camera for the people at home.

“I can employ micro-expressions that you might not see in the theatre,” he says. “But I strongly believe theatre acting and screen acting is 99 per cent the same. The other 1 per cent is technical. A screen audience is the same except it’s shrunk down to the size of a postcard or the camera lens.”

Schmitz says they are rehearsing with cameras right from the start. “When I did Measure for Measure at Belvoir with Benno [director Benedict Andrews], he insisted on the cameras in the room from day one to ensure the AV is excellent. That’s how you make it great.”

In the final week of rehearsals, Red Line will bring in four or five people to watch so Schmitz can “feel that indescribable extra feeling of doing it live to an audience.”

“I am incredibly excited about this production,” Schmitz says. “We have hustled something out of nothing. It’s not perfectly suited to cameras but it’s pretty bloody close. This is a fourth wall-deleter play.”

Thom Pain will stream live nightly from Monday Monday June 29 to – Friday July 3 at 7:30pm at this link.

Content
From Our House to Yours
Add to favourites
ArchivedStreaming 1 Apr - 30 Jun 2020

From Our House to Yours

The Sydney Opera House makes its contribution to the plethora of online content being made available by the world’s major performing arts venues.

Dear Australia
Add to favourites
TheatreStreaming 2 - 5 Jul 2020

Dear Australia

At a time when a pandemic has forced reflection and change, 50 Australian playwrights have responded to questions that get to the heart of where our nation is - and where it might go.

A Midsummer Night’s Dream
Add to favourites
TheatreStreaming 26 Jun - 3 Jul 2020

A Midsummer Night’s Dream

Shakespeare’s most famous romantic comedy captured live from the Bridge Theatre in London.

See More

More to see

View All
OA | TV: Opera Australia on Demand
Add to favourites
OperaStreaming 3 May - 31 Dec 2020

OA | TV: Opera Australia on Demand

Unable to perform live while the country is in COVID-19 lock-down, Opera Australia has created another way to share their performances with opera fans.

Red Carpet Cabaret
Add to favourites
CabaretEternity Playhouse, Darlinghurst, Sydney 12 Jun - 4 Jul 2020

Red Carpet Cabaret

Darlinghurst Theatre Company returns to live performance with a three-week season of intimate cabarets.

The Reservoir Room
Add to favourites
ArchivedStreaming 5 - 30 Jun 2020

The Reservoir Room

Located in the heritage-listed Paddington Town Hall, The Reservoir Room is a new venue for these times, an intimate studio for streamed cabaret.

Who’s Your Baghdaddy
Add to favourites
MusicalStreaming 24 Jun - 12 Jul 2020

Who’s Your Baghdaddy

Inspired by a true story, Who’s Your Baghdaddy is a satirical musical comedy performed and streamed completely live every night for five nights.

Top